Postdoc/tenure track position on Neuroscience-inspired Intelligent Autonomous Agents
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is one of Europe’s top technological universities, situated in the heart of one of Europe’s largest high-tech innovation ecosystems. Research at TU/e is characterized by a combination of academic excellence and a strong real-world impact. This impact is often obtained via close collaboration with high-tech industries. TU/e consistently achieves a global top position in university-industry collaboration rankings, and is a breeding ground for spinoff and startup companies.
Within TU/e, BIASlab (Bayesian Autonomous Intelligent Systems Lab), headed by prof. Bert de Vries, seeks to advance the state of the art in Artificial Intelligence beyond the current focus on deep learning. We aim to develop intelligent autonomous agents that learn purposeful behavior through situated environmental interactions by exploiting advanced neuroscience insights and theories. Our approach to the design of intelligent agents is inspired by the Free Energy Principle, which is a computational theory of self-organization in biological systems (particularly the brain). In short, we aim to develop synthetic active-inference agents that can be utilized for engineering applications. Ultimately, we want to use these agents to automate the development of novel signal processing algorithms under in-situ conditions, e.g., for quantified-self applications in hearables and other wearables.
It is expected that the candidate takes on a leading role within BIASlab, working together with PhD students, the project PI and international colleagues. Key areas of interest include Bayesian machine learning, computational neurosciences and signal processing. Different contractual options (contract duration, tenure track options, etc.) can be discussed, depending on the candidate’s background and interests. Job requirements
- You should have a PhD degree in electrical engineering, computer science, computational neuroscience or similar.
- We want to develop working agents and consequently put a high value on candidates with a strong record in (scientific) programming and in translating advanced theories into practical applications.
- Preferably experience in supervising MSc and/or PhD students.
- It is essential to have a good written and spoken command of English.
- Finally, we appreciate a team player attitude, willingness to work hard and know how to have fun at it.
Conditions of employment
We offer the following:
- An appointment (1 FTE) as a postdoc for 3 to 4 years with flexible starting date, but preferably as soon as possible. For exceptionally qualified candidates a tenure-track appointment can be considered.
- Gross monthly salary in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement of the Dutch Universities, scale 10. Exact salary depends on your experience.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including excellent work facilities, end-of-year allowance and sports facilities.
- A dynamic, challenging and ambitious research environment with an eye for optimizing the work vs private life balance.
Information and application
For more information about the position, contact Prof.dr.ir. Bert de Vries, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology (Netherlands), email email@example.com
More information on employment conditions can be found here: https://www.tue.nl/en/university/working-at-tue/working-conditions/